10 tips for a healthier you:
- Award your health priority
- Make a simple change to your eating pattern such as ‘Have breakfast every day’. Write it down under “MY HEALTH is my top priority” Once that is second nature make another change – list that underneath the first change
- Create a regular eating pattern – have three meals per day. Avoid skipping meals to compensate for overindulging at that party the night before. Instead have a lighter meal not no meal
- Practice mindful eating – Eating with intention and attention, one simple change could be ‘Eat your evening meal sitting down and NO screens on’. Involve your family
- Increase your activity, be active most days of the week. Walking the dog, biking, Zumba classes, backyard cricket. Anything you enjoy
- Ensure you have the facts, don’t be side tracked by myths
- Eating out…Request sauces and dressings to be placed‘on the side’. You can enjoy the meal without adding a lot of extra energy on top.
- Ramp up your fibre intake by choosinggrainy bread, brown rice (it’s delicious) and wholemeal flour in baking (I use ½ wholemeal and ½ white for most baking especiallyChristmas cake)
- Enjoy Christmas and New Year parties – don’t miss the festivities but compensate for extra energy intake by extending your walk or being more careful about portion sizes
- Alcohol – keep your intake in check by drinking sparkling water with lime/lemon juice after a glass of wine. Keep the situation under control by planning ahead – offer to be the driver so you don’t drink.
Here’s looking forward to more positive messages about eating changes in 2016.